Contempt, in South Africa, is either civil or criminal, with the former used to coerce compliance. Where an agreement has been incorporated into an order of court, or a party simply disobeys a court order, and the party's disobedience is intentional and wilful, a contempt order can be sought, calling for incarceration as a means of obtaining compliance.  Agreements can also be enforced in a variety of other ways, including mediation, arbitration, and court actions for breach or specific performance.

Get Your FREE Telephonic ConsultationContact Us