Divorce agreements are legally binding contracts between former spouses that govern various aspects of their separation, such as the division of assets, spousal and child support and visitation rights. When one party fails to comply with the terms of a divorce agreement, the other party may seek to enforce it through various legal means, including a contempt of court order.

What is a Contempt of Court Order?

Contempt of court is a legal term that refers to any conduct that violates or undermines the authority of a court or interferes with the administration of justice. A contempt of court order seeks to hold a person accountable for such conduct and can lead to a fine or even imprisonment. In the context of enforcing divorce agreements, a contempt of court order may be sought against a former spouse who fails to comply with the terms of the divorce agreement or disobeys a court order related to the agreement.

When Would You Need a Contempt of Court Order?

You may need to seek a contempt of court order if your former spouse violates any provisions of your divorce agreement. For example, if your former spouse is supposed to pay child support but fails to do so, or if they are supposed to turn over certain assets to you but refuse to do so, you may need to seek a contempt of court order to compel them to comply with the terms of the agreement.

Applying for a Contempt of Court Order

It is recommended that you consult with an experienced family law attorney before taking any legal steps against a former spouse. An attorney can help you assess your case and determine whether seeking a contempt of court order is the appropriate course of action.

If you decide to proceed with the application for a contempt of court order, your attorney will file a Notice of Motion with the court. This document sets out the details of the alleged contempt and the relief being sought. Your attorney will also need to serve the Notice of Motion on your former spouse, giving them sufficient time to prepare their response.

An experienced family law attorney can be invaluable in helping you navigate the complexities of enforcing a divorce agreement and seeking a contempt of court order. They can advise you on the strengths and weaknesses of your case, help you gather the necessary evidence and represent you at the hearing. With the right legal guidance, you can increase your chances of reaching a favourable outcome in your case.

A contempt of court order can be an effective tool for compelling a former spouse to comply with the terms of your agreement. However, getting an application approved can be a challenging and time-consuming process. Contact Cawood Attorneys If you need assistance enforcing a divorce agreement, and let us take care of the paperwork. Book a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today to find out how we can help you during this tiring process.

Get Your FREE Telephonic ConsultationContact Us